Ooo beacheroo, how I love you! I would gladly give my right arm from one of these spanking beach huts…and my left arm to be lying on a roasting hot beach right now, with a just a cocktail and a stack of books for company.
1. In the Time of the Butterflies; Julia Alvarez – This true story of three remarkable sisters and their tireless battle against an oppressive dictatorship will both inspire and move you to tears.
2. Life After Life; Kate Atkinson – This is a great book, simply said. Kate Atkinson has a staggering imagination and such a comfortingly English turn of phrase, I was swept away into this groundhog world and you will be too.
3. Music for Chameleons; Truman Capote – A superb collection of short stories to dip in and out of when the time is right is a must for any beach holiday. These beautifully written, incredibly varied stories by Capote are just the ticket.
4. Frog Music; Emma Donoghue – this dusty San Franciscan tale of murderers, cross-dressers and burlesque dancers takes entertainment to the max the historical fiction way…
5. Someone Else’s Skin; Sarah Hilary – I know a lot of people like to take a bit of crime fiction away with them. I’m gradually opening myself up to the genre and this is the best I’ve read yet.
7. The Valley of Amazement; Amy Tan – although this book didn’t necessarily ‘amaze’ me, I think, given a beach, a cocktail and some sunshine, it would have done. A nice chunky, sumptuous beach book.
8. When God was a Rabbit; Sarah Winman – this cosy novel made me feel so happy, I’d happily relive that warm fuzzy feeling all over again.
9. Our Man in Havana; Graham Greene – A little piece of Graham is a must for any holiday. This witty book would be my choice for any beach.
10. The Darling Buds of May; H.E. Bates – Bates’ Darling Buds series are books I will return to time and time again in times of trouble and strife to readjust and realise what is important in life; i.e. heaps of food and drink.
beach huts by Carly-Jane via Flickr