Ooo. I love a good yearly round up. Expect a few on Literary Relish over the next month. This Tuesday, courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish, it’s some brand new exciting authors for 2013 (new to me anyway!)
1. Ray Bradbury – No, I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to read any Ray Bradbury either!
2. Iain Broome – after reading his fabulous, comforting début novel, I am convinced that Broome is the hot new author to watch.
3. Neil Gaiman – is it because he hangs out in the fantasy-cum-sci-fi section that I’d never read any Neil Gaiman? Who knows but, one thing that is certain is that I will never, ever look back. Top notch.
4. Jane Harris – Gillespie and I was a fabulous holiday read. One I never managed to review funnily enough. I am dying to read The Observations. Downton Abbey here I come.
6. David Mitchell – I always felt a bit unsure about Cloud Atlas, with it receiving so many mixed reviews. After the fantastical number9dream I might just have to take the plunge.
7. Helen Oyeyemi – a sensitive, quirky turn on identity issues and racial tensions that will really get you thinking in Boy, Snow, Bird. (Out in Feb 2014)
8. Taiye Selasi – I will shortly be compiling my thoughts on Selasi’s heartbreaking family drama. Toni Morrison’s protégé you say? Not much pressure then.
9. Sarah Waters – What a saucy Victorian romp! Waters’ writing was superbly atmospheric and I can’t wait to read more.
10. Kate Worsley – who better than to follow Sarah Waters on my list than her student, Kate Worsley. Her historical sea shanty really got my bookish juices flowing and I cannot wait to read more.